Social Learning is the latest buzz word. It is a new trend in learning.
Social Learning is learning that happens when people collaborate. It thrives upon the idea that learning can happen anywhere and anytime. Learning has no constraints. Social Learning can also be called informal learning or collaborative learning.
I completely believe in Social Learning because that is how I learnt a lot about Instructional Designing.
I am a better Instructional Designer today because:
- I closely follow blog posts on Instructional Designing that keep me updated with the latest learning trends
- Blogs also allow me to learn what others know about Instructional Designing and I learn my own lessons from them
- I virtually interact and discuss about Instructional Designing with others who are equally interested and involved in Instructional Designing
- I get so much knowledge through collaborative learning which I might not have got in a classroom
Social Learning actually is a time tested concept. Have you seen elderly men in coffee shops discussing daily news? In case you want to be up to date with the happenings in the world,all that you have to do is strike a conversation with such people who follow news very meticulously. You will learn lot more than you actually can learn by reading a newspaper.
Today you do not have to actually meet a person to share knowledge or ideas. There are so many tools available that allow you to collaborate virtually.
Some top tools that encourage social learning are:
The list goes on and on. Here is a list of some new tools for social learning.
To start with here are some interesting articles on Social Learning:
- The future of E-Learning is Social Learning- A good Introduction to Social Learning
- Collaborative Learning with Trek Earth - A good example of Social Learning
Please let me know how you would explain Social Learning and how you relate to Social Learning.